Thursday, March 13, 2014

Starting the trip

NOTE: Read the March 11 entry for a little background


Some two weeks after he started out to come to California, Juan Bautista de Anza made camp in the vicinity of Nogales AZ, where I am this evening.  He had started his journey in Rio San Miguel de Horcasitas on Sept. 29, 1776, and was camped in Nogales on October 14.  They had traveled 58 leagues (150 mi, or 242 kilometers) in 13 days, or 11 miles per day. Obviously some days were longer that others.  I have traveled a little over 1100 miles to get here from Oakland.  With a stop for three days for baseball games in Phoenix, I drove for approximately 2-1/2 days to get here.  The Anza expedition, including 300 or more men women and children, and over 1000 cows, goats, sheep, mules and horses, traveled at an average speed of 11 miles per day. I traveled at an average speed of 400 miles per day.  But then, I wasn't slowed up by any women or children.
As I was driving between the outskirts of Phoenix and the outskirts of Tucson I was struck by the fact the Anza must have seen about the same views as I did – craggy mountains jutting above the horizon of the flat desert land with some scrub bushes.  An adobe building along the freeway would probably have looked familiar to Anza, but I doubt the one I saw was there in 1776. Tucson was not something Anza would have seen, and it was not something anyone would have seen before about 20 years ago.  A six-lane freeway (Interstate 19) runs right through the city. The freeways in Arizona are distinctive due to the decorative sound walls, and overpass abutments.  They are very colorful and reflect the landscape and the native heritage of the area.  There are few such decorative freeways in California.  I guess we prefer the spare industrial look of dried concrete.
I’ll begin my trip home tomorrow with photographs taken at stops along the way to illuminate the past and illustrate the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment